Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election Hell

I am one of the likely many many Coloradians who were denied their right to vote because some county official didn't want to spend enough money to make everyone's life a bit easier.

Here's my story: I got off work at 3 and headed to the polling place where I have voted for the last 6 years. I got there at 3:30 to be greeted by a sign that told me it was no longer a polling place and listed several other places. I pick a place that is thankfully about a block away. I go into that place and nope they are not one either. They direct me to another place, and as I am driving there I see a sign that says VOTING HERE. So I pull in and park and walk into the massive church and get in a very long line that snakes around the place and is crazy long. I check my watch 3:45. I have at least an hour before I have to pick KK up so I should be good right? Yeah not so much. In the next 30 minutes the line moves maybe 15 feet and it becomes quite clear to me that I am not going to get KK on time. So I call Doyce and let him know the situtation and he says he'll bring her to me. I am still only about a third of the way through the line when he drops her off at 4:50.

Now let me say Douglas county where I vote decided to move forward only using the electronic voting systems. Most counties had both systems available to help move people through the lines. Not my county they closed down to only 5 polling centers down from I would guess what used to be 20 and only had a dozen computers, two of which where down. At 5:50 KK had enough of the line thing and she was ready to go. So after standing in line for 2 hours and still being at least an hour from voting, I had to leave. I was livid, and I plan to contact the election office of my county and send them a very unflattering email. It is just crazy ridiculous to stand in line for 2 hours and still be an hour from voting. I am still ticked off about it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Boulder Dude said...

There were people in Denver still in line to vote until after Midnight (in line before 7:00pm) so the clocks on the computers rolled over to 11/08/06 and stopped working.

One of the guys I work with was in line (Denver) from 4:30pm until 8:30pm when he was finally able to vote.

Give 'em hell!

10:54 AM  
Blogger ***Dave said...

As well you should be, Jack.

I don't know which voting collective you were at, but the Lone Tree Rec Center last night was the same kind of mess.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

I will be doing just that as soon as my vocab returns to it's normal levels and I am not cursing every other word just thinking about it.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home