Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Bright Shiny Money

Yesterday I got a job offer from a competitor. 40% salary increase with 401k matching and 13 miles from home instead of 26. My co-worker ( department of 3 ) turned in her notice yesterday. This means it is likely my company might try and match my offer. Now the only question is what do I do, if they do? I started out saying it was all about the money and now .... I hate being a quitter. Am I really ready to manage people, even if it is only 1 or 2 accountants?

I hope there is an easy answer because right now the choices all seem hard. It probably explains why I have been up since 4 am, because once I make the decision it will be done.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You are totally ready to manage people/accounts. Don't be afraid of the risk. I never thought I could manage people and if you start small it is totally doable. the money is also good too and being closer to home. When you say you aren't a quitter, it is one thing to quit the company where you are working that may not be showing you an option to get ahead and quitting on yourself because you don't trust your own wonderful abilities! Go forward, grow.

9:59 AM  
Blogger DeAnna said...

Hey, what she said :)

6:27 PM  
Blogger ***Dave said...

I've already given my opinions at length, but a couple more comments ...

Whom do you serve?

Loyalty to your employer is not a bad thing. It's even a good thing. That said, the extra goodness of the job offer is such that the benefit to *you* and to *the girl* outweigh what you owe *the current employer*.

As to the other person in the group leaving -- well, that's a shame, but it shouldn't influence your decision. Really. It's your boss's responsibility to keep the group going and to have contingencies in case someone leaves, not yours.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Talked to Doyce, he mentioned you took the job, good for you. Hope it is all you are looking for and more.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

It also means I'll be coming to your neck of the woods next weekend so we should talk about getting together.

9:20 AM  
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Congrats, Jackie! Wishing you all the best!

9:05 AM  
Blogger DeAnna said...

Woo hoo!

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home