Wednesday, March 21, 2007

3rd Oldest

A person I have worked with for a really long time came up to me today and asked what my hire date was. I told him, and he was asking because he was putting people in the order of how long we had worked at the company. The lady currently having worked there the longest is retiring at the end of the month, so we took her to lunch today ( MUST COME BACK TO THIS LUNCH AND SNARK!). I didn't have a choice or I would have so skipped the lunch. I am not really a fan of hers but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined. I was just pleased she didn't talk about her sex life, well until one remark when we were back at work. Anyways, he thought I was 2nd oldest with her departure, but after talking to finance, who can check hire dates, it turns out I am 3rd oldest. I hit my 11 year mark with the company this month, to celebrate I am searching for a new job.

So anyways back to lunch today, there is a place we always drive by but never really stop for lunch and today we decided to take our retiring co-worker there. It's a cute little country looking house. I wanted to leave the second I walked into the place. This place made the Hermitage look modern, vintage doesn't even cover it. It was like country gone bad meets 50's decorating. There were things on the wall I didn't even know what they were - turns out they are old style potato mashers. I looked around at the other diners and felt two things 1- I felt really young. The average age was well over double mine - hands down. 2-I felt dirty. I felt like I was tainted having been there. It might have been the guy with long unkempt hair and missing teeth that kept staring at me. One of my co-workers is almost 50 and he felt young in the crowd. This was a huge gathering of old and unattractive people. The food was fair and definitely homemade but I won't willing step foot in the place again :).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home