Saturday, August 11, 2007

It must have been the suit.

I had meant to tell a few Houston stories but I got distracted by things. I was with my boss and her boss. She ( my boss without hers) one night at dinner told me the story of how the last time they were there and all went out to dinner that everyone ordered what the VP ( my boss's boss) did at dinner. I must not have manners that way because it seemed crazy to me.

I was informed that the trip was business dress which to me means wear a suit. I am always afraid that when I do a bit less than that, I slip more into business casual. I had a suit for each day of the trip and one day I was dismissed during a meeting which was really cool because I didn't want to be in it in the first place. So I went to find some people I could learn from, and ended up inviting that person to lunch. I knew that the rest of the Denver people were tied up in meetings for the rest of the afternoon. He normally goes with another guy so I said to invite him too.

We went to a fish place and I ordered first. Yes I ordered swordfish but I was close to a coast right? Then in order both of the guys ordered the same thing I did. It took me a minute or two to realize what had just happened. I flat out asked if they ordered what I ordered on purpose and they both fessed up to it. I then informed them that I wasn't important enough to deserve that behavior from them and they should feel free to order what they wanted. I offered to call the waiter back over but they didn't budge.

It was a strange experience for me. I'll admit that I haven't worn a suit since then. I have noticed that people treat you differently when you wear a suit -- don't believe me? Try it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Totally true. I wore a suit during the triathlon and MAN did people treat me differently.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Badlander said...

Lol. actually i once wore a suit while surfing and i did get alot of attention. The salt water totally wrecked the suit but it was fun anyway.

1:52 PM  
Blogger ***Dave said...

I'm a picky enough eater (cough) that I don't slavishly order whatever the boss-man does -- but I do use him/her as a cue for what level of purchase is politic. If she goes for the lobster and filet, I can order something expensive, too. :-)

They say that what you wear influences you, too. I've heard from some folks who do the telecommuting thing that they make a special point to get dressed to at least some degree at home because it promotes a more professional attitude than lounging about in slippers and robe.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home