Monday, August 20, 2007

When Extraverts Work From Home

I did something today that I have never done in my professional career before - well two things actually. The first was to beg the lady sitting next to me to come to my desk and ask me for help to get me off the phone. I called to have my password reset and over a half an hour later when she was telling me about her husband's mother's husband that she married but refused to live with but married in secret. I am as chatty as the next person but could you please for the love of all that is holy tell a happy story? She was recently diagnosed with a pretty horrible disease. I know more about that woman and her family than any stranger you have never talked to before should. I tried unsuccessfully six times to get off the phone. This is why extravert's should not work from home.

The other thing I had to do was deliver a verbal warning to someone. I never had to do that before. I felt much better about it after she told me today what my job was and why I was hired. Its a sucky part of the management gig.

Oh and my big news -- I am going to go back to school and get my masters degree! I am going to start with one night a week and see how horrible I am after so long out of the game. Well that and with softball on my other off night it's all I have time for now :).

7 Comments:

Blogger ***Dave said...

1. It is, without a doubt, the HRish things (specifically, employee discipline) that are the part of the management gig that actually *earn* the "big bucks."

2. Grats on the Masters program! I stand in awed admiration.

5:26 AM  
Blogger DeAnna said...

Ooooh, grats! Good on you :)

5:48 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Congradulations honey I know you will do fine on your Masters LOVE MOM

5:53 AM  
Blogger ktbuffy said...

Congratulations!! That takes such amazing discipline. Go you!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Lela said...

Congratulations and best of luck on the Masters program!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If I can do it after 10 years of being out of school and having a baby 1/2 way through the program and still finish...I have nothing but faith that you can do it. If I didn't hate research so much I would probably go back to school for the PhD.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the degree!

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home