Monday, February 18, 2008

Not Comforting

I arrived in Canada on a fairly smooth flight. It's been awhile since I was outside the US and I don't remember the questioning that happened to get into the country being all that big of a deal when we went to England and I am not sure it happened at all in Paris. I get off the plane and have to go through Customs. They ask a few questions and turn me over to go into immigration. I get into the immigration office and there is one guy ahead of me in line. I can't help but hear the conversation. He isn't getting into Canada, game over. I didn't hear what lead up to it but they were going to try and hold him a day until he could get on the first United flight out of the US, otherwise he could leave in 2 hours on an Air Canada flight to Denver but then he was SOL to get back to LA where he lives. This is not comforting. He tells the guy to stand to the side because this is going to take awhile. He then proceeds to call me up to the desk where he takes a call about going golfing in the afternoon while I wait patiently in line. I get to the desk and he grills me up down and sideways. This is Canada for crying out loud people! It shouldn't be that hard to get into the country. I couldn't believe all the questions he asked me. He finally decided to let me into the country but um wow. I just couldn't believe it. Do they find it that hard to believe people come up here to vacation in the winter?

1 Comments:

Blogger ***Dave said...

Canadian immigration is notoriously tight, as it's a very desirable place for people go to. Plus there are all sorts business / income tax issues, and politics about people from outside taking good Canadian jobs. When I've traveled there on business, we've been told to bring a letter issued by our Canadian office, and to always say that we are there for "meetings," not "to work" or even "on business."

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home